You Are Reading

Industrial Experience - Bezier Internship - Work Diary


    Integrated Retail Services.





Initial Impressions

I spent a week placement at the Bezier design agency up in Rose Wharf in Leeds. I feel that I got a lot of experience from the short time I spent there so felt that I should evaluate this so I can refer back to this in future as well as using this as a starting platform in my Intern experience. 

I was initially a little apprehensive about working with the professionals in the studio. It was my first experience in a working studio and wasn't really sure what would be asked of me. 

The general atmosphere in the studio was really quite laid back, even though there was a lot of hard working individuals. Everyone on the design team who I spoke to was very welcoming and open to give me vital tips on the industry. 

Tips

A great tip I received was from one of the Head Designers. He told me that it's important to get into different studios whether they be small, few people studios or bigger agencies like themselves or even a "shitty little printers". He said to just go and do it gives the best experience and helps you to determine where you can fit in the industry. 

Another tip came from the creative director, Chris. He asked me where I could see myself as a designer? In an agency or smaller studio. I generally thought that I would probably fit better in a larger acency. He also asked me if I see myself purely on the design side of things or the idea generation which was mainly his job. At the moment, I try to keep well on both sides, but I would love to see myself in a Creative Director position in the future. That would be a really good career move for me. 



Live Briefs




I also got to sit and speak to one of the head designers as he was working when I had a spare minute. He was working on quite a big brief for Morphy Richards and it was really useful to see how fast designers work in this kind of environment and how they interact with the companies and each other in order to get the job done. 

The creative Director, Chris, who was setting me briefs came up with the ideas for the Morphy Richards brief and he talked me through some of his thoughts and techniques around the brief. They was looking at basing the inspiration of the brief around the Great British Public's recent growing love for 'Baking'. So from this, I seen the stages of a large scale branding and advertising campaign taking shape for a new product by Morphy Richards that includes a Serrated Edge Blade Blender as well as a brand new Iron which uses 'Ion Technology'. This was entitled with the slogan 'Don't just Iron, Ion'. 





The next brief I was involved with was some work that the company was doing for Lynx's new fragrance, Apollo. The company was already involved in the re-brand of the product and they was now looking to create an interactive game for the Boots.com website to help promote the new release. 

I was involved in a  couple of meetings around what we might want to do for the target audience of young, student males. The first one was a brainstorm of games to see which direction we might want to take. This meeting involved Chris, the Creative Director and also two members of the game design team and was really useful to see how the conservations work around idea generation, working for certain target audiences and certain companies. 

I also come up with the initial mood boards and scamps for the games which used in a second meeting, proposing the idea to boots. I hope to see some sort of variation of our initial design stages become a reality over the next few months in preparation for the launch. 




I was also involved in some initial stages of a brief for Fox's Biscuits. They wanted to increase sales on their biscuits by doing an on-pack promotion and left the rest up to us. Me and the creative director, Chris initially come up with a few ideas that we could roll with. They wanted us to include their mascot, Vinny so our first idea was to win a cuddly toy of Vinny with selected packs. This could be entitled 'Win Vin'. I created a few different design sheets for this brief which are still in the process of early stages of the brief. 

We also looked at new media technologies in the form of Blippar. Blippar is an interactive application for the Iphone which uses the camera to create awesome new interactive experiences with an advert or product. We come up with various ideas of having the animation of the mascot coming alive on top of the buscuit packet. See below for a video on Blippar. 

Working on such an interesting brief opened by eyes to new technologies and how they are changing constantly and being used within the moden world today. It also showed me that this is functioning in the real world outside of the four walls of the studio and it's a really exciting prospect that we can be designing for these new medias. 








 Return 

I have been invited back to Bezier next time I have some time off from university. They said that they will be putting me on the pay roll with a small wage which is good of them. I would like to get more experience whenever I can so would definitely love to go back and work on other exciting briefs with them. 










Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.